Saturday, November 9, 2013

Four Seconds to Lose Review

Book Review 
Date : November 27. 2013

Title: Four Seconds to Lose (Ten Tiny Breaths #3)
by:K.A. Tucker
4.5 Stars

Blurb ~ When a gorgeous young dancer walks through his door, a strip club owner must decide whether to follow his rules or his heart in the third novel by the author of One Tiny Lie and Ten Tiny Breaths.

Owning a strip club isn’t the fantasy most guys expect it to be. With long hours, a staff with enough issues to keep a psych ward in business, and the police regularly on his case, twenty-nine-year-old Cain is starting to second guess his unspoken mission to save the women he employs. And then blond, brown-eyed Charlie Rourke walks through his door, and things get really complicated. Cain abides by a strict “no sleeping with the staff” rule. But being around Charlie challenges Cain’s self-control…and it’s been a long time since any woman has done that.

Twenty-two-year-old Charlie Rourke needs a lot of money, really fast, in order to vanish before it’s too late. Taking her clothes off for men makes her stomach curl but Charlie tells herself that at least she’s putting her acting and dancing skills to good use. And though her fellow dancers seem eager to nab their sexy, sophisticated, and genuinely caring boss, she’s not interested. After all, Charlie Rourke doesn’t really exist—and the girl pretending to be her can't get distracted by romance.

Unfortunately, Charlie soon discovers that developing feelings for Cain is inevitable, and that those feelings may not be unrequited—but losing him when he finds out what she’s involved with will be more painful than any other sentence awaiting her.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17571140-four-seconds-to-lose?from_search=true
My Review 


ARC provided by Author for Honest Review
So I was in the minority in regards to the second book One Tiny Lie
and I’ll admit I was not a fan. Book one was amazing and I stick to my guns about that one but I can’t say I was wary of this book. Excited as I was about the elusive Cain’s story I couldn’t help the tension that kept me from immediately reading this. This was a stupid move on my part because Cain was about as amazing as they come. His alluring nature and strip club ownership drew me in from the first book. I wanted to know more about him and could not wait to find out. Boy oh boy was I both amazed and thrilled when I finished this one. He’s even better and ten times more delcioso than I thought.

“I really am a fantastic actress. And Cain is an even more fantastic distraction.”-Charlie

Like the other Ten Tiny Breath Series novels, Four Seconds to Lose deals with some heavy and hardcore issues. Although unlike the first two books this one is less on the mental/mindfuck side and more on the emotional and physical. Cain isn’t the only one with secrets and a dangerous past. In walks Charlie and Cain’s world is turned upside down. Looking to dance for the club, Cain is so attracted to her he is immediately throwing around possessiveness. So what’s a guy in his position to do? Run away and hide. He tries, but Charlie is too much like someone from his past to keep him away for long. The similarities are intense and hard to fight but soon Charlie takes on a larger than life personality to Cain and he is helpless to resist her. 

“I’m anywhere but trafficking drugs. Or stripping on this stage. Anywhere but in my shameful life.”-Charlie

Charlie’s secrets run her life. She is in hiding yet still being bossed around, working at Penny’s for Kane gives her control of her own life as small as it may seem. She trying to escape and find a way to escape. The shared attraction between her and Cain is intense and at first nothing but a hindrance. Yet we all know sexual tension this off the charts is going to explode and boy does it ever. These two are so hot for each other I’m surprised the people nearby don’t just turn into puffs of smoke. 

I think my favorite part of the book was Cain’s mature attitude and behavior. Unlike so many other NA novels, even when the characters are in their late 20’s, everyone is so immature and never think before they act. If you read my reviews a lot you know I am not a fan of weak males, females I can handle but there is just something about a weak male that turns me off completely. That being said, Cain is so far from being weak, he practically oozes masculinity and sex. Cain stands up to the plate and even when all Charlie’s secrets come tumbling down, Cain handles them with a surprising amount of grace and in a very short amount of time deals with them and how they affect their relationship. Rather than let Charlie handle anything he takes over and practically saves her life. There was a brief moment for me where I was like ‘Aww’ which quickly turned out for my desire to rip his clothes off. Even though Charlie gets that pleasure I was never disappointed. 

“I’m playing the role of a stripper who’s taunting her stoic boss. That’s all this is. And I must be doing it very well, because there’s no doubt in my mind that Cain is enjoying it. I can tell by the way he leans forward, the way his mouth parts, the way his hands grasp the railing so tightly that the tension ripples up through his arms… By the very fact that he’s out there, watching. Night after night.”-Charlie

Overall I looooved this book. I couldn’t be happier. My fears quickly eased after the first chapter and I was sucked in like dust in a vacuum.  I loved all the serious issues going on in the background. I thought they gave the book an edge I haven’t read yet and the fact that it was delivered so seamlessly was a huge plus. I was sad it ended and I know I will go back and re-read this one over and over. Fans of the series will love Kane and since bouncer Ben’s story is next it seems there are many more good things in store for us readers. Would I recommend: Abso-Freakin-Lutely!!!

HAPPY READING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...