Saturday, June 14, 2014

My Skylar Review

June 12. 2014

My Skylar (Gemini #3)
by: Penelope Ward

BLURB ~ Skylar was my best friend, but I secretly pined for her. One thing after another kept us apart, and I’ve spent the last decade in fear of losing her forever.

First, it was the cancer, but she survived only to face the unthinkable at my hands. Because of me, she left town. For years, I thought I’d never see her again.

But now she’s back…and living with him.

I don’t deserve her after everything I’ve put her through, but I can’t live without her. This is my last chance, because she’s about to make the biggest mistake of her life. I can see it her eyes: she doesn’t love him. She still loves me...which is why I have to stop her before it’s too late.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18693586-my-skylar

My Review & Rating

5 ++++ {Love is Always Enough} Stars


description
The minute I saw this book went live, I dropped what I was reading and dove in and now my heart is irrevocably broken. My emotions are degrading into a pile of ash all because this aorta gripping novel had to end. I’m pissed at myself for having met Penelope Ward but at the time not truly recognizing her awesomeness. Now I lay my heart at her feet. I enjoyed Gemini, I wavered through Jake Undone and I had my heart forever stolen by Skylar and Mitch in My Skylar… There’s so much love in the air I’m surprised little birdies aren’t flying around my head. If you’re a fan of this series and that blurb alone causes your heart to skip, I warn you, you’ve seen nothing yet. My Skylar is an amazing journey of two best friends reconnecting after years of suffering being apart. The journey these two travel, all whilst circling the other, is undeniably heartbreaking but at the same time so beautiful Shakespeare would have written sonnets about them.
“Through her frailty, I saw her soul-the essence of why I’d always loved her. It shined brighter, no longer paling in the reflection of her physical beauty. It made me realize that I truly loved her from the inside out, not the other way around.”- Mitch
description
We first meet Skylar in Jake Undone. Skylar is unlike any characters I’ve come across before. She’s strong in the face of defeat, determined at every step to make each moment count. Skylar holds no punches and lives by being brutally honest. Even when the chips are down Skylar is more concerned with the well-being of others than herself. She stole my heart after she comically forced Nina into a bird and bees conversation while recuperating in the hospital for her cancer treatments. We get a brief insight into the relationship of Skylar and Mitch, but nothing can truly prepare you for the soul wrenching love these two share.
"You’re transforming a hairless cancer patient into a drag queen in less than twenty minutes. Even Copperfield couldn’t touch that.”- Skylar
description
I’ll admit the timeline felt a tiny bit choppy. When the story begins things with Mitch and Skylar are not so great. Trust me it’s never-ending as your mind screams ‘What happened, what’s going on.’ After a few chapters in we go back in time to the first meeting between Skylar and Mitch. From there begins the road to friendship and ultimately love. Many things alter their road such as cancer, college and that wavering fear that your other half deserves more. For years Skylar and Mitch are no more than the best of friends. As time grows so do their feelings and it’s a remarkable thing to witness. Penelope does a remarkable job of including the details that matter. Sure at some points years pass but it’s nothing short of easy to fill in the pieces and not once feel a disconnect.
description
“She had been my best friend, the most important person in the world to me for so many years… before I fucked it up.”- Mitch
I don’t want to cover the storyline much in this book since it’s more along the lines that needs to be felt and learned as you go. I won’t sum up what happens because it would really ruin the experience. What I will say is make sure you’ve at least read Jake Undone so you get an intro into what will most likely be your favorite book and your favorite characters. Where Skylar is soft and kind, Mitch is damaged and alert. Apart they don’t seem like they’d fit but between the sparks flying and all the cupid arrows flying around it’s hard to deny that fate plays a large role in their relationship.
“Don’t freak out? Before I fell asleep, you had hair like David Beckham. I wake up, and you look like Mr. Clean.”- Skylar
description
I can honestly say this is one of the best books I’ve ever read. The passion in the words alone gives me goose bumps, thrown together with the unbreakable lifelong love between Mitch and Skylar and I want to weep, much like Mitch in this matter. Like I said earlier I wasn’t blown away like some people by the first two books but there was something about Skylar’s story that just called to me. You can feel everything as the pages just flow with untarnished feeling and your entire being centers around each word. I’m simply blown away and in awe of this beautiful story. I can’t say enough good things.
“Fucking boner go down.”~ Seamus
description
Don’t let all my flowery words fool you. There are some scary and crazy situations involved in this book. You will go through a wringer of pain and anguish until you can’t breathe. I laughed so hard at some points I had to take a break because my stomach was hurting  all thanks to the outlandish words of a parrot named Seamus and a friend named Davey who is known to occasionally rock a chest-hair bikini top.  I even felt murderous at one point thanks to the nefarious deeds of one meddling skank. At the end of the road I’m just disappointed it ended. I can’t recommend a better New Adult book than this one. The road to love is never easy and life will always throw its worst at you. What really matters is how you wade through the waves and never give up hope. Mitch and Skylar’s road is not an easy one, instead they both suffer simply being apart, and this book focuses on their journey and how much being together truly means to them. Excuse me while I *sniffle*… Now what are you waiting for? Get this book, read it, love it and tell me you didn’t love it, I dare you!! I'm going to go stare at that amazing cover, maybe a re-read is in order since now I'm ruined for any other book!!!
description

☮ PEACE LOVE & HAPPY READING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...