Thursday, January 2, 2014

Wanderlust Review

Book Review 
August 13. 2013
Wanderlust
by:Skye Warren
4 Stars

Blurb ~ Can love come from pain?

Evie always dreamed of seeing the world, but her first night at a motel turns into a nightmare. Hunter is a rugged trucker willing to do anything to keep her—including kidnapping. As they cross the country in his rig, Evie plots her escape, but she may find what she's been looking for right beside her.

Wanderlust is a dark erotic novel which explores dubious consent, captivity, and power play.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17200709-wanderlust?from_search=true

My Review 


I don’t know what I expected from Wanderlust, going in, but I was pleasantly surprised, well, and shocked, amazed and even appalled. The characters were easy to root for and equally engaging. Poor Evie is brought up in a not so normal home environment where her mother constantly harps about the horrors of the world. In fact it’s amazing Evie is able to see past all the negativity and realize though, the real world may be harsh, it can’t hurt you if you don’t even give it a chance. 

The beginning starts and as soon as you start feeling motivated for Evie her world turns to shit. The beginning of the story blew my mind more than anything. In fact in many ways it misinterprets Hunter and I won’t say why, but if you’ll read it, you’ll understand.  In fact he’s crazy scary and intimidating. Poor Evie doesn’t have many options regarding him, except to give in, and even knowing her position, I did wish for a bit more from her. 

“This was a nightmare, exactly the kind of thing my mother warned me about.”-Evie

So Evie sets off to find herself and most importantly free herself from the paranoia of her mother.  She has her plans all made and is off to start a new life but a stop at a diner one night changes everything. Evie is no wilting flower or airhead. She knows when to question things around her and when things just don’t look or feel right. She trusts her instincts, even if that doesn’t always matter. Evie is kidnapped and from there nothing goes right. Evie still somehow manages to have faith in humanity. Even after losing her freedom she sees the good in impossible situations. Growing close to her kidnapper, is not something Evie wants, but ultimately it’s something Evie can’t avoid.  The one instance I was displeased with this book was when Evie manages to escape.  I don’t want to say why, how or what happens, but something far worse than her time with Hunter occurs and for some reason it felt too rushed over for my taste. Things are swept under the rug and though Evie remembers these events, I couldn’t understand why they are never brought up. 

“I cried for staying with my mother too long, not knowing what a normal life would have been like. I cried for finally summoning the strength to leave, only to have all my worst fears prove true. Most of all, I cried because I felt relief to be captured.”-Evie 

Sure, Hunter (her kidnapper) is not all that likable from the start, but then again everyone has their story and Hunter’s was nothing like I expected.  Wanderlust was most definitely a dark romance filled with drama, mild action and some brutal moments that will make you cringe. But they’re eventually overpowered by the rest of the story that swiftly moves along and keeps you engaged. Hunter is sort of an anti-hero and it works for him, especially within his role in the story. 

“The way the man looked at me, unflinching, unnerving, had tripped off all sorts of animal instincts inside me that I couldn’t precisely interpret except to know to avoid him.”-Evie

Evie and Hunter could not be more different from each other and yet something connects them aside from Hunter kidnapping her. Fans of the dark romance genre will enjoy Wanderlust and the dynamic between Evie and Hunter.  The blurb only gives a glimpse into this story and it’s truly one that needs to be discovered. Enjoy the journey but prepare yourself. I will most certainly reading more from Skye Warren in the future.

HAPPY READING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...