Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Wager (The Bet #2) Review

Book Review 
December 1. 2013
The Wager (The Bet #2)
by:Rachel Van Dyken
4.5 Stars

Blurb ~ What is it about a junior-high crush that can send an otherwise intelligent woman into a tailspin? TV reporter Char Lynn wishes she knew. Jake Titus is too rich, too handsome, too arrogant: a trifecta that once lured Char into the best night-and worst morning-after-of her life. Now they've been thrown together in a wedding party. It's awkward, but survivable . . . until Jake stops acting like a jerk, and starts acting like the man she'd always hoped he could be.

If watching your brother marry your best friend is weird, being attracted to your best friend's other best friend is downright bizarre. Unfortunately for Jake, Char hasn't forgotten how he once tossed her aside. Worse still, Jake's already-nutty grandma is even crazier about Char. Cue meet-cute shenanigans and all manner of meddling, and somehow, Jake's falling. For Char. Now all he has to do is make her believe it . . .


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18269659-the-wager

My Review 


ARC provided by NetGalley for Honest Review
4.5 Granny Lovin' Stars
Considering how much I loved The Bet and loathed Jake I’m surprised by how much I enjoyed this novel. Char was a refreshing surprise because she is not Jake’s biggest fan from the get go either and this girl has a hilarious knack of playing pranks and plain old embarrassing the hell out of Jake, so I was all for it. I’m also a huge Rachel Van Dyken fan in general so my opinion could be biased but I still stick by my LOVE for Travis. 

As in The Bet the number one character has to be grandma. To my great surprise she’s in The Wager even more so prepare yourself for some outrageously inappropriate comments, matchmaking and a granny that age makes little to no difference on. She’s literally off her rocker and I enjoyed every scheming page she was on. 

The last thing Char wants is to spend any time or with the infamous and promiscuous Jake Titus. After a mind-blowing sexual encounter followed by a morning brush off, Char is ready to never lay eyes on the man again. However, their BFF’s wedding is coming up and both are required to attend. This does not stop the crazy and over the top antics at all. In fact only a few pages in and I was laughing so hard I had to take a breather. Char is so incensed about the asshole Jake the only thing she can see is RED. Char wants Jake to feel her pain. He’s an emotional drone who is plain and simply a SLUT. This only fuels Char’s fire even more and once grandma is on her side, all bets are off. 
The dynamic between the characters was really phenomenal. Perhaps I loved it more because of how much they hated each other. Sure the sexual tension and attraction was there, but neither could stand the sight of the other at first. I loved watching these characters be pushed together. At times they try so hard to avoid one another that it just becomes inevitable that the universe deny them their wishes and make their lives that much more difficult. The jokes and pranks are at an all time high and let me just say on a side note, practical jokes on an airplane may not be the smartest idea. I mean there are armed air marshalls, who though they don’t carry guns do have tasers and those pesky zip-ties.  
This was an excellent continuation of the series. I wasn’t looking forward to liking this as much as I did simply because of my dislike for Jake. To be honest, through most of this novel as well, I just did not like him. But overall he grew on me like some sick fungus; now that it’s a part of me I just can’t let go. I’m definitely looking forward to more from this series and I can only hope that granny continues to make her hilarious appearances cause she surely made this book that much more enjoyable.

HAPPY READING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...