Monday, September 30, 2013

Wishing for Someday Soon Review

Book Review 
September 20. 2013
Wishing for Someday Soon
by:Tiffany King
5 Stars

Blurb ~ Seventeen year old Katelyn Richards is a stronger person than anyone will ever know, and that is just the way she wants it. Behind her normal facade lies the reality of a broken home life. Thanks to her abusive mother, a string of deadbeat stepfathers, and an unsympathetic system, Katelyn has learned that the only one she can count on is herself. Her life’s mission has become to shield her nine year old brother, Kevin, and to give him the future that they both wish for. A life with no more abuse, no worries about where their next meal will come from, and no more wondering if they will have a roof over their heads.

When her mother moves them again, this time to a small town in Montana, Katelyn’s resolve is shaken when she meets Max, a cute boy from her new school, who gets a glimpse into her real world. Max slowly manages to break through Katelyn’s wall of distrust, stirring up feelings she never saw coming. Now with her world more complicated than she ever intended, Katelyn struggles with the decision to follow her heart into the arms of the first boy she has ever loved. A decision that could risk the promise she made to protect Kevin, and to give them the ‘someday soon’ that is so close within their grasp.



My Review 
Wishing for Someday Soon is easily one of my favorite books EVER. This was the third time I’ve read the book and I was as drawn in and captivated by the story and characters as I was the very first time. Literally nothing bad I could say about this book from the characters to the actions and plot line it is absolutely breathtaking. Tiffany King has forever indebted me as her reading slave. I laughed, I cried and I am ready to do it all over again!! 
description 
"I’m sure most teenagers would have resented all the time they had to spend with their younger siblings, but I had been taking care of Kevin since he was born when I was eight. He was such an easy baby, hardly ever crying or demanding attention, so it was easy to bond with him. I could never remember a moment in my life when I had resented him. Even when I suffered Lucinda’s wrath, the payoff seemed worth it if Kevin was protected.”-Katelyn
 
 Wishing for Someday Soon easily deserves 10 Heartbreaking, emotional, and captivating stars. It will leave you floating on a cloud and remembering why you love reading in the first place. Kate will do anything to prote2ct her brother. That includes protecting her ten year old brother from her abusive mother Lucinda. That includes making up an escape plan to include ‘someday soon.’ Someday soon when they are free and happy, the sun shines and bird chirp in the trees. A day when their mother doesn’t scream down the walls of the trailer for Kate to dump her ashtray and spend the last of their food stamps on cigarettes and it’s just the two of them, Kate and Kevin. A day when Kate doesn’t have to hide the bruises and emotional scars Lucinda has no qualms in giving her. description  
”Just like always, Lucinda was ruining everything and taking me with her.”-Katelyn 

Moving to a small town is the worst thing Kate can imagine. Big cities and large schools make it easier to hide their less than fortunate circumstances. Teachers and parents pay less attention to her bruises and friends are too busy gossiping and going out than to worry about Kate. Now she’s even in the same school as Kevin and in a class of seventeen students. Hiding the truth from everyone becomes a bit harder to do and Kate has to work harder to keep Kevin happy and herself safe. To say her mother is an out-of-control BITCH is being very kind. Her mother deserves a slow and painful death and I’m not a violent person. “No matter how I felt about Max, Kevin would always come first.”-Katelyn Katelyn is one of my favorite ever heroines. She is brave in the face of horrible evil and she puts her little brother first. I think she is a very remarkable character in that she so rarely thinks of herself. She doesn’t whine, cry or lie and basically knows how sucky the world can be and still doesn’t let it drag her down. She may think her plan of someday soon is a outlandish dream but it’s a powerful catalyst that allows her to make her and her brother’s lives bearable.
 description 
One thing Katelyn never foresees is Max. Max is a whirlwind of color and joy in her otherwise dull and scary life. He accepts both her and Kevin as one of his own and once he realizes the dire circumstances Katelyn and her brother are facing at home he is none too happy. Katelyn refuses to do anything that would separate her and Kevin, even if that means continuing to suffer Lucinda’s wrath. 

"Look, Katelyn, as long as we’re together it’s my job to make sure no one harms you including your mom.”-Max 
description 
 Each day is a struggle and you will be sucked in to the emotional journey that is Kate and Kevin’s lives. Luckily the small town life makes it easier for the people with good souls and hearts of gold to stand out. Aside from Max another shining light in their lives is Mr. Withers. Since both Kate and Kevin feel like my own family I can’t even express how happy I am that Mr. Withers is around to not only help them but provide some sort of familial relationship they are clearly lacking at home. He may work at the local gas station but he goes out of his way to help them both.

 “I’ve never believed in love at first sight, but I do believe in fate.”-Max 
 description 
Each time I read the end of the story I feel like the floor has given way. My stomach drops and my heart breaks. Sure there are tears each time but then there is this immense joy that radiates from inside me that probably makes me look beyond ridiculous but I can’t help it. Wishing for Someday Soon is just one of those books that make you feel like a better person for having read it. You feel changed, happy and proud of the characters progress and more than that you just want it to keep going. I know personally I want another story. I want to see these characters after the end, Kevin all grown up and Max and Katelyn having their HEA. Most importantly I want to see what this ‘Someday Soon’ is all about. All I can hype is that it’s everything they hoped for and more. Overall read this story. It’s a crowd pleaser. It has its hairy moments and it’s not always an easy read but it’s utterly fabulous. I will continue to re-read this story for years to come and can’t wait till the next time I pull this out and experience what GREAT writing is all about!
 description 
I think it’s appropriate to point out my favorite quote from the book. Sure there are many but this one really stands out. I hope everyone else can also appreciate the greatness and truth in this quote. “It’s ironic how people that want children so badly are denied, but those that should never have been able to reproduce have no problem doling it.”-Katelyn

HAPPY READING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...