Monday, September 30, 2013

When it Rains Review

Book Review 
September 29. 2013
When it Rains
by:Lisa De Jong
4.5 Stars

Blurb ~ One night changed my life forever.

Beau Bennett has been my best friend since I can remember. He was my first crush before everything came crashing down, and now he wants more, but it's more than I can give him. Things are different now. I wish I could tell him why, but I can't.

I haven’t told anyone.

I never knew how much I really needed him until the day he left for college, and I was completely alone.

Then one day, Asher Hunt rides into town with his dark, captivating eyes and cocky grin. He doesn't care who I used to be, he's simply breathing life into what’s left. People warn me to stay away from him, but he helps me forget the pain that has held me hostage for so long; something I thought was impossible before he walked into my life.

I’ve been hurt.

I’ve been saved.

And I’ve found hope.

I thought my story was written that night, but now I know it was only a new beginning. Until one secret turns my world upside down…



My Review

I rarely, if ever start a review with the cheesy line, ‘you will laugh, and you will cry,’ but When it Rains had me blubbering like a little baby. I certainly laughed, even as the snot poured down my face and I cried like my world was ending, because it undoubtedly felt that way. If you heard this book will take your through an emotional wringer you heard right. Now that my depression has lessened a bit I can appreciate what a beautiful story it was. Not that that dulls the ache in my soul but it’s a balm none the less.
When it Rains was a beautiful journey where Kate suffers a horrid experience and after years of pushing everyone away and giving up on life, she learns the power of love and meets her soul-mate. No journey is easy and Kate has a lot of scars to mend.
The book starts off with a bang, it’s not the easiest thing to read but it bonds you to Kate. You can feel her pain, sorrow and grief as if it were your own.  She was a very strong and humble character. Her journey was certainly rocky as she held her secret in for long. Finally finding someone she felt close enough to- where she could reveal the truth- was a riveting experience.
Beau and Asher. I loved them both. I was a bit anxious in the beginning as I thought this would be a love-triangle, as if Kate’s crazy life could use any more drama, but alas, it wasn’t really and it worked keeping things more simple within an already drama-filled story. It was really hard to separate my love for both Beau and Asher. They both helped Kate in more ways than they know and even though I know how things work out, in some vain way, I’m almost happy because I could never have picked between the two men who each equally meant so much to her.
This was a heartbreaking journey. Something serious and awful happens to one of the main characters in the story and I’m not just talking about the first scene. Most books gloss over this issue but I felt like When it Rains had me right in the moment from Stage A to Z. Each bump in the road broke my heart a bit more and I could not help the helplessness and grief that took over my life during these chapters. For someone who rarely cries during books, I was taken through the ringer and squeezed like a sponge. Tears were gushing all over the place. So not pretty!!!
Overall if you’re looking for a book that will rip your heart out, break it into a million pieces, throw them off a cliff and then haphazardly be put back together than this is for you. Sure I feel emotionally drained and like I should maybe buy stock with a Kleenex company but I am still overly grateful I read this book. It was a beautiful and completely unforgettable. There is a romance that will put the Notebook to shame and a friendship that can stand the test of time. Both guys are unbelievably hot and too good for words, what more does a great book really need?

HAPPY READING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...