Friday, February 15, 2013

Hard to Resist Review

Book Review

Hard to Resist Feb. 14th

Sypnosis: Natalie Carmichael thought that Bryson Daniels would be her world. She planned a bright future with him, cherished four years with him, and couldn't have been any happier, but during graduation night, all of that changes.
Natalie walks in on Bryson cheating on her. One month after catching him in the act, she finally decides to make an escape by leaving for Florida.
She wants to start over, have fun, and be free while also finding a way to mend her broken heart but when she meets Nolan Young, her single-life escapade doesn't last for very long. She tries to stay clear of Nolan and his desires but it's impossible for her. Nolan will do everything that he can to have her as his own, but will Natalie accept Nolan along with the problems of his past? Will she let someone else into her heart that may be even worse than Bryson?
For Natalie, Nolan will be something completely new to her. And for them both, their desires will be completely hard to resist.


Hard to Resist by: Shanora Williams
★★★ 3 Stars

Hard to Resist was both a hit and miss for me. Much of the story felt rushed and too short to feel real and have a satisfying conclusion. Granted, there is no cliff-hanger but the End was enough to make me feel unfinished.
Natalie moves away to Miami to escape her heartache.When we first meet her it's a horribly corny moment between her and her friend that involves talk of thongs and dongs, but it was just not funny to me or a good start. She's young and just wants to find herself and the thought of having another man in her life is impossible after finding her longtime high-school boyfriend cheating. But, soon after meeting Nolan sparks fly and Natalie loses some of her strength in my eyes. It has only been one month since her breakup and though she puts up a front she's sort of annoying because how confusing she is. She repeats soooooo much how she doesn't want to get involved and get hurt... Fine, but in no time her and Nolan are in relationship and confessing their love. .

Another thing that disturbed me was a memory that was just unnecessary. Normally, I don't mind flashbacks, especially when they help us to understand the characters a little better. But, eww, I did not want to read about her having detailed sex with her scumbag ex. Why was this necessary?

I could understand the connection between Nolan and Natalie. But I just wasn't feeling it. He claims to have been hurt but his behavior is like that of a child, when someone hurts me I have to hurt them back, eye for an eye type of stuff. I was sort of offended when he said, "you're a challenge that I know I won't conquer for a very long time," Nolan. Is it just me or are there numerous things unromantic about this statement.

Dawson and Natalie's friend Harper are pretty awesome. We don't really get too much of them but enough that I almost would have rather read their story. Dawson seems like a great guy, one that all us ladies wish existed in the real world. Although his tendency to seek out those who 'need help,' is a bit over the top. Makes the relationship between him and Harper seem farfetched.

Back to Natalie... Her insecurity is maddening. At one point she goes gaga over the fact he calls her babe in front of Dawson. Awkward.. I don't feel her personality had enough time to gradually change and accept this relationship with Nolan. At times her hesitancy was refreshing but she could never make up her mind and I felt as frustrated as Nolan. And when he leaves and tells her he knew about it, for awhile she's okay with it. I was shocked and frankly disappointed.I was finally hoping she would get a backbone and stop being a doormat. Wrong.

This quote summed up the whole book pretty much, it's this non-stop:

"I want it to work. But it can't if you don't open up to me. Let me in, Natalie. I swear I won't break you," Nolan.      

 There is a sequel planned for release in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...