Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Obsidian Review

Book Review


Obsidian by: Jennifer Armentrout

4 Stars ★★★

We Come in Peace!!

Blurb: Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is

Obsidian was such a pleasure to read and this rocky relationship between Katy and Daemon that thrives, lives and feeds off of their mutual dislike for one another was captivating. The bickering is non-stop and reeks of sexual tension.. Grrrr 
Obsidian took awhile for me to get into. If we're being honest I'd give the first half of the book 4 stars but the second half an easy 5. I was glad when I finally got sucked in, because boy was Daemon addicting. He definitely became one the hottest most frustrating aliens in my universe. I wanted to throttle him at times, right along with Katy. 
Katy was a great character, heroine, lead, whatever, she was awesome. I felt so connected to her throughout the book. Her girlish screams when she received her 'smiley face' Amazon package, cemented our book friendship immediately. Though I never personally video blogged about books I received, I could not help but admire her enthusiasm, which at times exceeded mine, as shocking as that may be. 

Daemon takes the bad-boy thing to a whole new level. "They will use you to get to me... And if they ahold of you... death would be a relief,"-Daemon (170). How enticing, lol.

Daemon. Daemon. Daemon. (The similarity between his name and Demon is no joking matter. Sometimes I wondered if he wasn't alien at all!! ) What more is there to say than Daemon is a character you will love to hate. Obsidian definitely hits on the very fragile, thin line between love and hate. Katy and Daemon are constantly teetering on the edge but it's understandable why their struggle is so hard. I mean, Hello!, he is a freakin' alien. An entirely different species from our own. But aside from that, I was honestly, grateful for all this unresolved tension (especially all the laugh-out-loud fights) because their wasn't that "OMG, I need you, I love you," immediate love moment that carries on through the whole book like many others. Oh no, Obsidian is all about being different. Not to say there is no sexual tension, because, man, it will fog your glasses and burn pages. 

Dee, (Daemon's sister) is a complete joy. Half the time you don't even remember she's not human, well, when she's not eating or binging I should say. Dee is definitely a friend I wish I had, especially with the Luxen powers she has. I'm surprised their was not more of an abuse of power with the aliens but I guess when your threatened by your own alien enemy and the DOD you must proceed with caution. Yet, Dee and Daemon tend to breaks rules, like normal teens, even more so in the cover of their own home. I wish I could control the television without the remote and move with the speed of light, but then again, their powers make them too perfect, as if their is not much they can't do. 

Katy-"Good Lord, aliens can eat," (205).

The other Luxen are a bore. Their all so mean and defensive, it's hard to like anyone but Dee and Daemon, even when Katy **gasp** 'a human, 'saves the day they can't get over their dislike. As if she could actually be a good person and not the 'weak human,' they see her as. Maybe they will redeem themselves but as of this book, they are not even close. 

Near the end of the book, the Luxen's contempt towards Katy barely registered and I couldn't help feeling a bit smug when she shuns Daemon. Poor guy really doesn't grasp every girls fantasy of TRUE LOVE. I have a feeling, however, that Katy will make him figure it out, sooner rather than later, in what I hope with be a very painful journey!!! 

Overall, Obsidian was a great read. Wish the entire series was finished but more on that later. Off to book two, "Onyx."

HAPPY READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...