Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Forever My Girl Review

Book Review June 19
Forever My Girl (Beaumont #1)
by: Heidi McLaughlin
★★★ 3 Stars

Blurb ~ I was never supposed to be a rock star. I had my life all planned out for me. Play football in college. Go to the NFL. Marry my high school sweetheart and live happily ever after.
 
I broke both our hearts that day when I told her I was leaving. I was young. I made the right decision for me, but the wrong decision for us. I’ve poured my soul into my music, but I’ve never forgotten her. Her smell, her smile.

And now I’m going back. After ten years. I hope I can explain that after all this time. I still want her to be my forever girl.


Review 

Honestly I didn’t really like this. The storyline was generic and the plot was very obvious. Nothing really shocked me and I was more disappointed in the characters than anything. To me it was too much like a soap opera interspersed with a secret baby and a returning flame turned rock star who unlike the blurb says, doesn’t go back for his girl or even fully commit to wanting her till over half way through. 

“I said I’d love her forever. I said I love you first and promised to never let her go.” - Liam

I’m way more excited for the next book in the series and hope it’s more enjoyable than Forever My Girl. I just couldn’t get over Liam. He was too cocky to me and his repetitive exclamations of guilt for leaving felt false every time he said it. And the whole situation involving Josie’s boyfriend Nick, was maddening. I felt awful for him when things came to a head. He was such a sweetheart and actually there for Josie and her son when Liam wasn’t. Yet at the end of the day she pushes him away for the one that abandoned her. 
I get the whole first love thing, I just couldn’t look at her the same for treating him that way. It’s not like he deserved to be treated so shitty after he picked up the pieces of her heart and soul for six years. I mean in the beginning Liam admits to purposely changing his phone number to avoid hearing Josie’s hysterical phone calls when he left. He not only ignored and abandoned the supposed love of his life but his family and best friend as well. It was hard to form any type of attachment to him from then on. Maybe if all his bad traits were kept hidden for awhile longer I wouldn’t have minded as much. Sure he had just turned into an adult, but you can’t make selfish decisions like this that hurt so many people and not expect horrific consequences when you go back, especially if it’s ten years later. Although I admit I do find it a bit hard to believe that he never heard any news about anyone back home in all the time he was away. As if everyone ignored him as much as he did them. 

 I can’t say more. I just did not enjoy this. Even looking back at my notes is making me angry. I’m sure there are those who didn’t have as much of a love-hate relationship as me, but I felt almost more shamed and abandoned by Liam than Josie did and I could not really find redeemable qualities in either of them. Again, I can’t wait for book #2 which is about a member of Liam’s band and Josie’s old friend whose husband just passed not too long ago. Least these two haven’t had the chance to decimate each others hearts yet and I’m thoroughly hoping that does not happen. Here’s to wishing. 

HAPPY READING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...