Thursday, March 14, 2013

Preservation Review

Book Review March 10th

Preservation (#1)

by: Rachel Wade

★★★3 Stars

Blurb: Kate has no time for meaningless romantic charades, and definitely no time for hot college professors who are full of themselves and smitten with her. Constantly battling eviction notices, tuition she can’t afford, and a sick, dependent mother, the last thing she needs is to be distracted with someone else’s complicated baggage.

When she stumbles into Ryan Campbell’s creative writing class, he is only “Mr. Campbell” to her, until Ryan finds himself captivated by her writing and she is forced to face their mutual attraction. His cocky know-it-all syndrome is enough to send her running in the other direction, and his posse of female admirers and playboy reputation are enough to squander any odds in her favor.

But underneath Ryan’s abrasive facade is something to behold, and she can’t stay away for long. Ryan and Kate must decide who they’re willing to become and fight against their former selves if they want to make things work. That’s if academia, vicious vixens, old skeletons, and their own mastery at self-destruction don’t pummel their efforts first.


My rating for this book was all over the place pretty much until the end. We shared an intense love-hate relationship but thankfully my kindle did not suffer much damage.  


This book made me feel like ...
 So if you don't want to read all my ranting and raving. Save your time and read something better!!!

I had a hard time liking this book from the beginning. Don't get me wrong it was an okay read, but it was more frustrating than anything. The characters were not that likeable to me and their personalities left much to be desired. The story line was frustrating and almost demoralizing because they didn’t seem to care about anyone even themselves (at least in Ryan's case).
Now for all my angry ranting…
*Beware  potential spoilers*



What I Really Didn't Like
It was hard to like Ryan when it was clear he didn't like himself. I have nothing against teacher-student relationships in college but Ryan went above and beyond. He had no shame about sleeping with students and having the entire school and faculty know. I found there was no respect in this because it's one thing to be a man-whore but another to flaunt it and risk your reputation and career over some booty. 

I thought the prologue was unnecessary. It made sense to work within the story but because the entire book was from Kate's POV I thought it was an unnecessary addition to warrant pity for Ryan. 

It seemed unrealistic that Ryan could sleep with so many of his students and not get in trouble. Even without a fraternization policy in effect, there comes a point where enough is enough and from the way he makes it seem, there's not many girls (both faculty and students) that he hasn’t slept with. Though, that's what the whole Perception aspect is about I still think he is far too careless about his job.

Obviously, I hate Ryan's reaction to his stupid ex cheating and screwing him over. Now he's almost as bad as her with his sleazy ways. I would have preferred him to be stronger than this. So many guys in books are sleeping with everyone only to get over pain some past female caused and it's annoying that none of them care about what they are doing or who they are doing it with.

"I won't screw you over like the other female students I have in the past, if that's what you're asking." -Ryan  
He's so blasé about it all. I just can't get over how little he cares.

Sometimes it's hard to keep up with the two chicks he had on the side. They were like an annoying pest that kept popping up.

I feel like Kate is a little naive. She accepts that Ryan wants to change and okay, I get that, but I couldn't get over how immediately she thought he was going to move on from his past mistakes all of a sudden because of her. 

OMG when he turns on her and lies to the publisher causing her to lose the deal. That was the point of no return for me. No matter what, Ryan never should have done that. It made him as bad as his ex, who caused him to lose his deal as well.

We never get a chance to see or hear about their writing. It's all vague and I wanted to know more. What types of stories are they writing? Why? What are the personal connections? Anything would have been fine other than simply knowing they were writing fiction.

By the time Kate made it to the West Indies I was too keyed up. Every little thing was being scrutinized and seemed to go too smoothly for the characters. I doubt it would be so easy to secure a job (even as a teacher) within a few days for a foreign place. 

Ryan's apology. "I'm an idiot. I fucked up bad." That's it!!! That's all he says and she just gives in no muss no fuss.

What I Liked (Well, it was Okay)

He was a, "sad man who'd lost something he loves. Only I used that as an excuse to get away with selfish behavior, taking down anyone and everyone with me, any way I could." - Ryan
 Ryan owns up to his mistakes even if he does sort of place the blame elsewhere. It was commendable to see him bare his truths to her, knowing as a female how she would react. 

I loved their connection between writing. Their passion was very strong and it clear it helps bring them closer together. 

I was okay with Kate running away. Honestly, I figure it was safer for Ryan this way because I might have caused him bodily harm at that point. And OMG imagining her hotel room was breathtaking, so jealous. I mean who wouldn't want their own plunge pool, waterfall and epic view from a hotel room in the West Indies. 

The epilogue helped make up for the idiocy of the characters. It helped make these 3 stars rather than 1 or two. 

Overall
As for recommending this book, I don't think I would. There are so many more interesting books out there without characters I viciously want to maul. Perhaps if you enjoy man-whores with no self-respect and protagonists who fall for anything the hot hunky guy says even after he tries to ruin her life, then this book is for you. Maybe it's better in Reservation when we are able to see things from Ryan's POV but honestly, I'm putting that off cause I am still too ticked with this one.
 
HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...